Thursday 30 April 2015

Bye, bye baby, baby goodbye!


Job done! "The Beast" is now sat snugly in the corner of a multi-story car park at Southampton docks. I still can't quite believe how easy it all was. In spite of a long list of do's and don'ts from the Travel Agents, the shippers were really laid back about the whole procedure; but then again they are doing it all day every day so I guess they should be. Nobody even looked in the boxes or checked how much fuel was in the tank. No disconnecting of the battery as they apparently ride the bike onto the ship. Just keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get a phone call asking me to collect my kit from the bike before it gets shipped as I was told by the agents that the boxes should be empty! However asking around it seems that most people have left their kit on the bikes without issue. I hope that part works out OK as the rest of my kit just about fills my airline luggage allowance. Sorry Dave (Lomax) but I've never really done the ultra-light travelling bit and I guess I'm too old to start now. At the ripe old age of 66 I need my creature comforts....

So all that's left is to put the last few items in my flight luggage, sit back and relax !!! Well actually, no. I have a myriad of things to sort out before I set off. Family and friends far and near to visit; vehicles to sorn, move to various places and the house and garden to leave in a suitable state for my return in several months time...and a little over a week to get it all done! I think the next week is going to simply fly by.  Unusually for me, I have made lists of everything I have packed and where I have packed it so at least when I suddenly get in a panic wondering if I have forgotten to pack something I can check and see.

Thanks to various friends and forums I now have 3 potential contacts in Canada and the northern US. To say nothing of various other friends about to embark on trips of their own in various parts of North America and of course I also have some good friends and relatives living in Canada. So in essence all is good to go; what could possibly go wrong ? I just can't wait to get moving, throw away my watch and live by the sun. no timetable, no schedule, no stress.Just need to watch out for those pesky bears.  Bring it on !!!



No comments:

Post a Comment