Friday 15 May 2015

The Saga Continues!


Wednesday morning, and I needed to get down to the Shipping Agents office to pay the fees to get my bike released when it eventually arrives. So I raised a few eyebrows in the motel when I declared that I was going to walk into town. Walking is something that obviously is not uppermost in the minds of your average Canadian. But it's miles I was told by all and sundry, well, yes it is. Actually it's 6 miles to be precise according to Mr Garmin. Where's the problem...? The route was a piece of cake; straight down Bedford Highway, The sun was shining as I set off and I was really looking forward to the exercise after so much sitting around; 6 hours on the bus to Heathrow; 5 hours sitting in the airport; 6 hours on the plane and then a day of hanging about at the Motel. OK I did do a few miles yesterday, but still, the more people that told me I was mad, the more I was determined to do it... when will I ever learn?

Unfortunately the sun didn't shine for very long and as I was only wearing a T shirt, it wasn't long before I was hunting in my rucksac for my thin windproof that I always carry. At least it wasn't raining although the sky looked somewhat ominous. The walk across town was a delight, you see so much more when you walk rather than sit in a car or bus. The old mingling with the  new; the faded wooded siding on the old houses in stark but beautiful contrast to the shiny glass and steel on the tower blocks on the skyline. Big open spaces counter balancing the crush of the buildings both old and new. I found the twin towers that make up Purdy's Wharf easily enough. I had been told that the office I needed was on the 13th floor. Into the lift, up I went at rocket ship speed. Now where's that office? Ah! guess I had to pick the wrong tower didn't I! Back down in the lift across the walk way into the second tower and up I go to the 13th floor. Yes, got it right this time. Got out my tablet with the document on it. Ah! we need it printed out. No you cant connect to our WiFi, you need to go back down, cross the wakway into the Marriott Hotel and there is a Starbucks on the ground floor with free WiFi and you can email it to us! Ok, that sorted, pay over my $164 by money order which I'd collected enroute from the Post Office and was told to take the receipted Notice of Arrival over to Customs. on Hollis Street.


t was only about a 10 minute walk across to Hollis Street but my enthusiasm was to be short lived as I was told by the very pleasant young lady behind the counter that they couldn't do anything until the ship had actually dock and my bike had been unloaded. She went on to add that in fact Wallneus could be in for a big fine if the ship did not dock on the 15th as stated on the Notice of Arrival as they should not have issued the notice until the ship was in port! Oh Hell! does anyone know what they are doing around here ! I was beginning to wish I had flown in a week later, but then hindsight is a wonderful thing and we have to rely on those who are supposed to be the experts. I was given a phone number to ring on Friday morning to see what the position was then. But if I didn't get the bike on Friday I would have to wait until Tuesday, as Monday was Victoria Day and a public holiday. Oh Joy!

There was nothing more that could be done so I had a bit of a half-hearted wander around the waterfront area, although by now my feet were a little sore and I just couldn't find the enthusiasm for sightseeing after my disappointment. I found a bus stop easily enough for the No 80 or 81 that I needed to get me back to Bedford and my Motel. There was only one other person waiting so I asked him if he had any idea what time the bus was due.... Arggg! Deja Vu, It just had to be Chinese guy just arrived to attend University in Halifax and who barely spoke any English! It could only happen to me!

The buses in Halifax run on a fixed tariff of $2.50 for any journey and you can even break your journey or use the ticket for the return or for the ferry. They also run very frequently so half an hour or so later I was back at the hotel feeling a little depressed and just hoping that my trip would be able to get underway sometime soon. Not only was I getting very frustrated at the hanging around which was nor being helped by the lack of accurate information from people who should have been better informed but my budget was already under severe pressure before I turned a wheel.

1 comment:

  1. Keep it coming Dennis. Great to read, almost like being with you!!

    ReplyDelete