Friday 4 September 2015

Grand Canyon

So, what of the Grand Canyon, I hear you cry! Well it was just a dirty great hole in the ground. It was a bit like the Welsh slate tips really. Really?






Well, no actually; it was awesome LOL


 Just forget my rants of yesterday, as is so often the case I jumped in with both big feet and got it so very wrong… I was up bright and early, hoping to catch the sunrise there, just as I had done at Death Valley a couple of days earlier but for some reason I must have been a bit slow packing my kit up and as I was wild camping I didn’t want to risk leaving it set up. However, it was still early enough to miss the bulk of the crowds and all but the earliest of the tour busses. I had one small problem in that my right ankle was very sore and a little bit swollen, plus I had a rather large blister on the big toe of the same foot. I was damned if I was going to miss the opportunity of at least a short walk around the rim, even if I couldn’t manage a full blooded hike, so off I went. It is staggeringly beautiful even without the sunrise. As you move around the rim the view changes second by second both with the viewpoint and as the sun climbs a little higher. And there wasn’t a helicopter to be seen or heard. I guess they send them further along so as not to disturb Grumpy Old Men! I Managed to walk, or at least hobble, about three miles and then caught the shuttle bus back to the car park. I must say credit where it is due; The parks people have the network of shuttle bus routes well sorted, no matter where you are or where you want to go you don’t wait more than about 15 minutes… and they are all free!



Once back at the visitor centre I headed of to Desert View Point, and stopped many more times on the way for yet more photos. If you want a rough gauge of just how good it is, I took about 400 photos. That’s good! I could have (should have) stayed at the Desert View camp ground whilst I was there, it was only $12, but as it was still only lunchtime I carried on until I met the Hwy89 at Cameron and turned north to pick up the Hwy160 up to Tuba. Which is where I am now camped, in a rather strange RV site behind a Quality Inn Hotel, which has just 6 tiny tent pitches for which charge just $3 less than for a huge RV pitch ; $19 against $22! Oh well, at least I had a fun evening talking and drinking beer with one couple who were towing their Harley in a trailer behind their RV. Bob & Debbie where a delight to spend an evening with. Meanwhile my ankle was getting fatter and fatter and ever more painful. I suspect a touch of gout as I certainly don’t remember knocking it or twisting it. I managed to scrounge a couple of strong Ibuprofen from Bob to tide me over until I can get to a pharmacist in the morning ! So tomorrow It’s on up the 160 towards Monument Valley and then Mesa Verde. 

No comments:

Post a Comment