Tuesday 1 January 2013

That Was The Year That Was!



With Allie in happier times!

So 2012 all done and dusted, it’s been quite a year one way and another…

The year when realisation finally got through my thick head that my marriage of 34 years to Alison, my wife, soulmate and best friend was actually over, finished, dead; It certainly took me long enough !

The year I started to put into action my plan which I have nurtured since about the age of 13, when I used to cycle down to Tilbury and sit on the sea wall watching the ships sail out of the Thames estuary, to see something of this wonderful world that we inhabit for oh so brief a visit and in doing so, I have made some amazing friends and traveling companions who I know will be forever in my life from now on

A Soggy start for Scoots 2012
The year which saw me lead the biggest and arguably most successful Scoots trip to Bansang. Delivering 12 scoots and 12 new disciples to the Bansang cause, many of whom are still working behind the scenes for the Hospital.The team also raised in excess of  £10,000 for BHA. From the bottom of my heart, Thank you all!

Yes, it’s certainly been a year to remember, and a year that has passed seemingly, in a blink of an eye.  

... but the usual Warm Welcome!
It certainly hasn’t been a “Buddhist” year! As the highs have been so very high and the lows almost as low as one can go.  A part of Buddhist philosophy is the belief that Buddhism smoothes out the highs and lows of life, making one calmer in the process!!! 

I’m not really too sure which category my climb of mount Olympus fits into, as undertaking it on the second anniversary of Sam’s death made it one very tough day. Whilst, when standing on the summit I felt as close to him as I have ever been and as I wrote at the time, he was with me throughout the climb… but then he is always with me anyway, in my heart and my thoughts!

 The Scoots Trip was very definitely a high, in spite of Steve’s early
Something in my eye !!!
departure following his crash and the usual spate of little “issues” I can honestly say I enjoyed every minute of the trip with such an incredible team. Thank you each and every one of you. And of course there was also the bonus, for the first time, of the return trip this year; fantastic!

Another high was the Horizons Unlimited meeting in Greece, at a time when the UK meeting appears (in my humble opinion) to have lost it’s way somewhat, the Greek meeting came in like a breath of fresh air, the venue, our hosts and of course most of all the participants all
On Mount Olympus
conspired to make this a meeting above all others in my book! From the second I arrived in Pramanta to be greeted by Hanno and dragged (not protesting too loudly!) into a bar for a cold beer with Dimitris the organiser, to meeting up once more with my dear friends  Taz & Joel , with whom I had spent the best part of a month travelling across France, Switzerland and Italy. Alex & Mila, Martin, Angel & Christos, Simon & Suzzane and so many, many more that I could think of, that made my time at Tzoumerka so very, very special. I simply didn’t want to leave. Thank you Dimitris!

Anita
Balancing that out of course was hearing the news, whilst I was out in Bansang with Glenis, that Anita CEO of the Bansang Hospital Apeal, and a very special lady in my life for over six years, had been diagnosed with breast cancer. It came as one hell of a shock and it doesn’t get much lower!  However, fantastic news was to follow when at her follow up appointment after her surgery she was given the all clear so requires no more surgery and now awaits the start of a course of radio therapy. Anita, as always dismisses all and any concerns with her usual beaming smile and indomitable spirit and enthusiasm for life and just get on with it!

So what does 2013 hold in store I wonder? Well, one thing is for sure after my worst Christmas/New Year ever, it can only get better.  With a little luck and good fortune I’m reckoning that I should only be in the UK for about 4 months this year and most of that will be taken up with planning and meetings for the 2013 Scoots trip. The majority of the rest of my time will, I hope, be spent in various parts of Africa, either in Bansang, where I fly for 3 weeks at the end of January,  recceing the route down to Bansang for the next Scoots trip or of course leading a new team, hopefully with a few returnees, down to the hospital. It would also be great to find some time to meet up with some of my new and old, very dear friends!

With Taz & Joel
One thing I can guarantee for 2013 is that I sure as hell won’t be around here for Christmas !
Meanwhile a Very Happy New Year to all my Good Friends and Family wherever you may be and lets hope 2013 is good to you all!
Alex & Mila

Angel & Christos

Suzzanne works on Joel

Just one of the many reasons I love Africa...

No comments:

Post a Comment