Friday 1 February 2013

Where is Dembo???


Thursday 31st January.
A day to remember for very different reasons. First and foremost, today saw Anita undergo the first of her Radio Therapy sessions. When I spoke to her in the afternoon she had just returned from the hospital and sounded her usual cheery self,  but I thought I detected a slight tiredness in her voice, unsurprising with all she is going through plus the frustration of not being out here commanding and directing operations as I have seen her do so well and so many times over the past few years.

Secondly today we installed the first piece of equipment in the now completed No1 Operating Theatre… a brand new Gloustervent Anaesthesia machine ! Unfortunately we didn’t get much further as the day then soon turned to farce as 10 men tried to remove a few stubborn screws from a “new” operating table to fill it with hydraulic oil, which then promptly leaked out all over the floor… So today Sulayman is going to have a look inside the storage containers as there is a suspicion that there is another table lurking somewhere in it’s depths.

I also had a second meeting with the local builder whom it is hoped will rebuild the large section of the childrens ward which is close to collapse following substantial subsidence. I was very encouraged by his answers to some probing questions about just how he proposed to tackle the project. I was also very please to hear that his men would complete the entire project in just 6 weeks… I won’t hold my breath on than one !!! The downside of bringing in an outside contractor on the project is obviously one of cost, which is going to be quite sunstantial. However all are agreed that this needs to be a “once and for all” remedy NOT a quick fix, but it does still leave a gaping hole in BHA’s budget. So if anyone of you reading this feels that they or their friends and family wish to help us maintain this incredible children’s facility which day after day saves the lives and health of children of all ages in this desperately poor region, please, please, please go to www.scootersinthesahara.co.uk click on the donate button and give as much as you possibly can. I give you my personal assurance that every penny donated will go toward this rebuild with “nowt taken out” as the advert used to say.

But the other burning question of the hour is “ where is Dembo?”… He was last seen heading west for Banjul to purchase various building supplies and to clear the Keller’s container from the port. After which he was due to accompany it back to BH. Anticipated arrival was pm Wednedsay… but as of last night there was no sign of Dembo or said container… Perhaps, after out “words” last week he’s keeping out of the way until I depart !  LOL. However the work proceeds apace with or without my nemesis! In truth I suspect that the problem lies at the port in obtaining customs clearance for the shipment, so no doubt hostilities will soon be resumed!

Chris has now more of less completed the staff accommodation shelving and will soon start on a couple of work surfaces that Sulayman has requested for the Theatres. Jeanette and Tanya are slowly working through the ward procedures and compiling new forms etc whilst imparting lots of knowledge and skills of good nursing practice to the numerous ward staff. Tanya also seems to be on more or less permanent emergency call at the Obstetric Theatre where. in spite of her smiles and cheery disposition I think she is still finding African/Cuban theatre practise a little difficult to adapt to. I don’t think it will be long however before her personality, charm and skills will win the day and everything will be rosy in that particular garden!

Meanwhile today I go skiving off to Basse Santa Su with Robert the Gloustervent Man. David Southall has asked me to have a look a few machines in the clinic there and as Robert has to service a couple of Gloustervents for them it seems to make sense for us to travel up together… and me being very crafty, also thinks that together we will have far more success at repairing the machines than if I went alone or with Chris, as neither of us has a clue as to what the problems are, only that the equipment is not working… not very helpful really!

Then tonight I have booked for dinner at Paradise  for our little team as Robert flys out back to the UK on Saturday and I am hoping that Robert and Tanya will get a chance to discuss some African Theatre procedures together which hopefully may just be of some small assistance to Tanya as she gets to grips with life in BH.

PS. If any of you are wondering why I haven’t replied to messages left on my mobile, I change over to Africell whist out here so don’t pick up anything from my O2 number until my return to UK.
My Gambian Mobile is 00220 7159211…

Once again sorry for the lack of pictures but it is difficult to even download emails never mind upload photos; the Internet is just too slow  here at the moment. However I will post a spread of pics when I return to the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment