Wednesday 22 August 2012


We have been at our wild camp just outside Mogilino in northern Bulgaria for the last three nights whilst I ponder on the wisdom (or otherwise) of buying a property in the village! So far I’ve had two builders give me vastly different quotes for the same work so now I await a fellow Brit, Adrian’s input. We met Adrian, who lives in Veliko Tarnovo at the Moto Camp last week. He has renovated a couple of Bulgarian properties in the area so knows a lot about prices and who to use (or not use!) and he’s input will be much valued. Meanwhile today (Monday) we went with local estate agent, George to view another property in a nearby town, but although the house looked quite nice as it had been partially renovated, the renovation hadn’t been well done and I was unimpressed with the village it was in. I’m not sure exactly why, although they do apparently have a bit of a Gipsy problem. The local we met in the town square were certainly friendly enough but the whole place had an odd feel about it.

Tomorrow is going to be rather a sad day ,as whilst I stay to try to sort the house, one way or another, Taz and Joel must carry on with their trip! The thought is that I will catch them up in a few days, the reality may be a little different as we will have to rely on the availability of WiFi to get in touch as they do not travel with a mobile phone. I must admit that I will really miss them both, just as I did when we parted in Italy, second time around it won’t be any easier, in fact it will be tougher as our bond of friendship has grown even stronger. Hopefully I will be on my way north by Friday or possibly even Thursday although I really don’t want to do the Transfargassen Pass at the weekend so I may meander a little to delay that momentous ride until Monday!



The place that I very nearly bought for £4000 in Mogilino, Bulgaria

Meanwhile as we prepare to spend our third night at our wonderful wild camp just under 3km from “my” house in Mogilino under a clear blue sky, with the sun starting to sink, it has become almost home to us. It will be a little strange here tomorrow night all on my own, but it really is that nice here; far enough from the road and hidden from view but with superb, uninterrupted views over the surrounding hills. We have even established a nice little shower room in the trees. It’s going to tough topping this one.


As we part tomorrow I head south to Veliko Turnovo to check out a few more properties at one of the other estate agents in the area, whilst they head off to catch a ferry across the Danube to Romania. I wish them safe and happy travels till we meet once again.


No comments:

Post a Comment