Tuesday 4 September 2012

Three countries in a day!


After my early start this morning, there was little doubt that I would make it across Hungary and into Slovakia by tonight, but in fact I also got right across Slovakia and well in Czech Republic as well, stopping tonight at another GPS found campsite at Hranich. That leaves me just under 300km tomorrow to Kuna Hora and the Church of Bones. I’ve taken the softies choice once again and opted for a cabin, as the prices are so silly it’s not worth putting up the tent. Once more the cabins look a little like a post war holiday camp although there are no Redcoats about!  

It could be an interesting night, as from the sound of it there is a shooting range at the back of the site, a railway line runs right across the front and at the moment a light plane is doing acrobatics directly overhead… plus of course there is the usual assortment of dogs large and small, barking everywhere.

Last night it was the sound of countless crutch rockets flying past the site entrance; an incredible amount of them. Then when I left this morning and continued up the mountain I realized why… the road was simply fantastic, custom made for knee down action. Forget the Tranfargassen Pass and any other pass for that matter, the countless 180 degree bends were not really hairpins at all, they were more akin to Gerrads  at Mallory Park than the Melbourne loop at Donnington! I even had the pegs on the old airhead scrapping the tarmac; the right road doth make hooligans of us all! Once that was out of the way, sanity was resumed, as were the boring straight roads, for a while at least

 I left Hungary  across a little but fairly new bridge almost before I knew it, and was soon into the Slovakian hills and more great roads although ridden at a somewhat more sedate pace as befits an old man on a classic bike! Slovakia also came and went almost unnoticed other than the scenery had improved somewhat. And so to Czech and this funny little autocamp (at least that what they call it). So far tonight there is one Motorhome, one car and my bike, although that’s triple lasts night’s tally when I believe I was the only customer on site!

Whether I’ll get to Kuna Hora early enough tomorrow to visit the church before I camp (or cabin!) is anybody’s guess. I’ve set the GPS to shortest route and I’ll just have to see where it takes me. I do at least have a map of the area, unlike Slovakia, so I can see if it’s taking me by a silly route which it seems to do occasionally. I guess it just like to keep me on my toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment