Tuesday 5 March 2013

I Feel a chicken dinner coming on!



Mornings start early in Bansang; the cockerel that roosts right outside my bedroom window makes sure of that! Although to be fair, I’m usually lying awake long before he starts his early show at around 5am. After a long, hot, sticky night, It’s a joy to stand under the tepid water of the shower and wash away the last vestiges of sleep… or at least it is when we have water, which was not to be the case this today! So this morning I simply reversed the process and breakfasted on muslie and bananas, washed down with a good cup of builders tea, by which time I heard the first trickles of water coming through and filling the cistern. No point in getting upset over it after all as Robert from Diamedia would proclaim, TIA… this is Africa and thing happen somewhat differently to back home.

I needed another early start anyway as I’m off to the Mite house on bat watch before the first glimmer of dawn creeps through the starry night, and it really is beautiful in the cool, fresh air of the dawn. Yesterday saw me over at the hospital just before 7am to see what, if anything, Dembo had been doing in my absence. Hmm! Not a lot is the answer to that one; quelle surprise! Certainly the floor tiles had been laid in the corridor outside the new theaters, and very nicely too. Amazingly there was not too much sign of grout, or white cement, left on the surface. Unfortunately I can’t say the same for the mosquito screens that have been put up over the new aluminum framed windows! Not only do they look awful, they make it impossible to clean the windows on the outside, as instead of being made removable, they have been fixed with huge screws straight into the concrete blocks. Oh well, I guess they can just hose them down from the outside through the mesh. Once more I mutter TIA ! 

Well, no bats were spotted this morning so just about to go over and try to see them coming out. Dusk is about 7pm so if I arrive just after 6pm hopefully I may well catch them leaving the roof space.

It’s been quite a good day today, with Morro and his team straight into work on the drains, which have to be fixed at the top end of the ward before we can start to demolish the toilets and showers at the bottom end…. Three manholes have already been constructed with a forth about to be excavated in the morning. More work on the drains follows to replace pipework damaged by the road construction work a couple of years ago. By tomorrow night I am hoping that all the drains will be fully functioning right down to the area of the subsidence.

Meanwhile the maintenance team have been creating havoc in Anita’s house where Tanya and I are residing, by tearing down the ceiling in the lounge area and what a right old mess they made, leaving most of it for me to sort out. And that’s not the worst of it as they are back in the morning with three more areas to pull down before they start replacing it all. As I might have guessed the two days will certainly be at least a week at the rate they work. It’s quite interesting to contrast them with Morro’s few boys…. I know who I would put my money on at the moment !

No comments:

Post a Comment