Saturday 6 April 2013

Home Alone!



As I type, Hurricane Anita is about 5 miles high, somewhere over the Western Sahara and calm has once more descended over Bansang !!!  We had an early start as I was o be collected by Lyn & Leland from PUG at around 10am and we needed to checkout floor tile for the pediatric refurb before leaving Banjul. Giovani, Luigi & Julies son, kindly got up early to drive us into town to the tile shops that supply the hotel and we came up trumps at just the second shop. Not only did we find what we wanted , the price was somewhat better than we expected as well, and we bumped into our friendly window man Ahmed, job well done!

We were met by the PUG duo outside right outside the shop and once my gear together with the groceries was transferred to the GTTI pickup we all said a quick and rather sad goodbye to Anita and headed off for Bwam for a quick stop and vehicle change for the run up to Bansang. Meanwhile, Giovani took Anita back to the hotel complex to await her transfer at 1pm to the airport. It felt really strange seeing Anita head for home whilst I returned to Bansang as previously it has always been the other way around! Last night at dinner Anita asked me if I was sure that I was happy to return to Bansang… I’m not quite sure what her reaction would have been if I had said “no”. LOL But the truth is that I couldn’t wait to get back to base and see just what Morro and his men had been up to whilst I was away.


Inspite of the short break at Bwam, it seemed as always a long drive to Bansang, with us finally arriving at about 4.30pm. I dumped my gear and the groceries in the house and headed off straight over to the hospital and I was not to be disappointed! The next section of wall is now up to the reinforced beam height and I guess will be finished by Sunday night; the Malnutrition ward has been completely repainted (again!) and is now looking 
resplendent in it’s fresh glowing buttercup yellow; most of the tiles have been taken up and will again, I guess be finished by Sunday or Monday. So all good there. Heading on up to the Mite house, I was amazed to find one doorway already closed off with concrete blocks, the second doorway not only bricked up, but the glass blocks have also been installed. Moving to the outside, I found that the first large window was out and could see signs of the bathroom wall for the first unit well underway…. WoW!   
 If only…. No, I promised Anita I would be good, so I’m not going there!  Tanya meanwhile has had a hell of a few days whilst we have been away, so tonight I’m taking her down to join Lyn and Leland at Paradise for dinner, not least , I absolutely famished as I haven’t eaten a thing since breakfast at 8am this morning!
By the time Anita get back to Northants it will be around 1am and I’m sure she will still be buzzing with thoughts of Bansang. Hopefully her kids will all be there to meet and greet her. After all she has been through over the last year or so with her health, I can honestly say that...
THE QUEEN OF BANSANG IS BACK !

No comments:

Post a Comment