Saturday 20 June 2015

Mind That Bear !!!

Tuesday 17th June.
That was a bit more like it! Having finished putting the bike together yesterday but being unable to start or test it as I was waiting for the silicon sealer on the oil filter cover to dry, I awoke early full on angst. 4.30am and I was already up and starting to get the rest of my kit put away. The intention was to run over to Creston after a quick cup of tea to fill up with fuel and to meet up with Jim in the Break-in-time Coffee shop; his usual breakfast haunt, to return the few tools that I had borrowed from him. In fact I also popped into the car wash to remove that last vestiges of the oil leak. That way I could see more easily if there was still any sort of problem and hopefully from whence it was coming.

The old girl ran superbly! With the valve clearances all adjusted, four new spark plugs and the Carburettors adjusted and balanced, it was like riding a new bike. Less rattles, and much smoother. However I had a bit of a fright as I emerged from the coffee shop with Jim… There was a little puddle under the engine. Dipping my finger into it and giving it a good sniff, it turned out to be petrol. I had just filled my tank to the brim at the gas station opposite the cafĂ© and then parked on the side stand in the full heat of the morning sun. The expansion of 37 litres of petrol was just too much for the tiny air space left and some had ended up on the floor. Relief all round!  On the way back I  went over to see Jason the mechanic to say goodbye and let him see The Beast in it’s full glory, then back to base for a quick iced coffee, finish packing and by 10am I was on my way.

The first part of the days ride was to back track about 100 miles along the Crows Nest Highway, certainly not a hardship as the scenery along it is superb. I stopped once more at Crows Nest Lake as I had done on my way down and enjoyed a tasty “smokie” with sauerkraut and an ice cold Coke in company with another cruiser riding old biker. It was then on to Waterton Provincial Park,  my goal for the day, which sits on the borders of BC, Alberta and the USA. A few spots of rain hit me as I rode through Fernie, home to the world’s largest truck. I didn’t bother to stop as I had seen it when I was over last year. The rain wasn’t even enough to wet my glasses never mind kitting up in waterproofs and the sun didn’t stop shining for a single second. I turned of off Hwy 3 at Pinchers Creek to head south on 6 and I could see that I was soon to be heading into the mountains; there was just 50 km left to Waterton. As I ran through the town of Pinchers Creek I spotted a Wall Mart and took the opportunity to grab some food for dinner and breakfast then pushed on unsure of just what lie ahead.  

Waterton is a small Park and the admission fee of just $7 reflects this, although it is still well worth the visit as the scenery and the wild life are amazing. I had spotted my first brown bear within minutes of passing the entry gate and within the time it took me ride through just a couple of the roads I had seen two more bears including the bad boy pictured here, who sort of strolled across the road with a casual look back at me as if to say “I’m a bear OK? What’s all the fuss about”. As the day rolled slowly towards dusk, I eschewed the fully serviced camp site right on the edge of Waterton town with it’s array of cafes, restaurants and bars, for a far more remote site close to . I got a bit of a fright as I rounded a bend to see another bear crouched, almost sitting, right next the road. I hesitated for a split second before realising that it was a cut out sign, but being a photograph it was just a little too realistic for my liking. Arriving at the camp site which was the other side of a river which one crossed via a wooden planked bridge, I was surprised to find proper flush toilets and wash basins in the restrooms rather than the long drop earth closets that are more usual in these locations. The site was a delight with a huge number of fairly secluded pitches, each having it’s own “bear box” together with a picnic table and benches. Being mid week and out of peak season I had it pretty much to myself. Well, that is apart from the deer wandering around, the odd prairie dog and some enormous black birds, which I’m not sure whether they were overgrown crows or some other variety, but they kept trying to pinch my breakfast! At $21.50 it’s certainly not the cheapest camp I’ve used but certainly one of the nicest and most entertaining.
You sure find some strange sights by the road side out here1

Today I cross the border back into the USA and ride the “Going to the  Sun Highway” which I’m promised is a “must do” ride. Yet again, as is my way of travel, I have no idea at all as to where I will spend tonight, I may get all the way down to Yellowstone or I may not. I may of course end up somewhere completely different. All I do know is that it will have to be very good to beat Waterton Provincial Park. If time was on my side I would surely stay a few more days and hike some of the trails that cut through the forests and mountains and see lots more of the wildlife. But it’s not, so onwards and, certainly for this morning anyway, upwards, into the Rocky Mountains that now lie all around me!

No comments:

Post a Comment