Saturday 6 June 2015

Some days are Diamonds...


So what of my new perspective? Well it isn't really. Yes, I beat all the coaches and the majority of other tourists to the Falls, but for me it has been completely ruined by the mass development that been allowed to overshadow the attraction itself! I found the Cave of the Winds which I been told about, but of course I was too early and would have had to wait about an hour. That in itself I wouldn't have minded too much as I had all day to kill. Then I read on the notice that the Cave wasn't actually a cave at all and the “Hurricane” viewing platform, one of the main attractions of the Cave of the Winds, was closed for refurbishment! Which really didn't leave much to get excited about. Of course there was no mention of a reduction in the $38 entrance fee, so I passed. I wandered down to another viewing platform which was right on the edge of the falls at Goat Island, but even that, whilst giving a fairly spectacular view, was spoilt by the huge amount of rubbish tossed over the barrier to lay as a complete eyesore at the very edge of the falls. It would have taken one on the staff no more than half an hour to clean the place up. However when I spoke to a staff member about it I was told it was due to staff shortages. That, in spite of millions of Dollars being spent on a whole raft of refurbishments to try to extract even more of your hard earned Dollars, Pounds or Yen! By this time I’d had enough and decided it was time to vote with my feet and move on, even though I had booked to stay at the campsite for another night. So back to camp, a quick packing session and I was still away by a little after 10am and heading west, across country, towards the Windy City; Chicago.

It was still a long haul to do in a day, way too far with a relatively late start and in the event I stopped the night a bit over halfway at Sandusky. The ride had been quite tough along the US20 with a couple of diversions for road works, thrown in for good measure. Bearing in mind that only a few days ago it was snowing in the morning when I popped my head out of the tent, the weather had changed dramatically with a high of 42c being seen around the middle of the afternoon.  The camp site at Sandusky was huge, with a vast number of cabins to rent, but it had clearly seen better days!  There was apparently a bike rally in town over the weekend, so lots of Harleys and one lone Yamaha were also on the site, Of course most of the Harleys turned up either on trailers or in the back of huge RVs! I think just myself, the guy on the Yam and just one of the Harleys had been ridden to the site!  Guess who’d travelled furthest? I was grateful for the ear plugs I always carry when camping as the pitch I was on was right next to the Interstate and the traffic was heavy, right up to the point I fell asleep. It was a fretful nights sleep as I was feeling unusually homesick! And even a couple of rather nice, locally brewed Black & Tans did little to ease the feeling.

Saturday morning I set off with the firm intention of getting to Chicago and possibly a bit further. The ride was nothing to get very excited about as I stuck more or less to the Interstate in order to get in the miles. I approached almost along the waterfront though East Chicago. Street after street of run down and boarded up houses; derelict warehouses and factories, a road that was,  to say the least, in need of some urgent attention and a sky that looked rather ominous, did little lift my spirits. As the first spots of rain started to fall I pulled over and put on an extra waterproof jacket; a wise move as it wasn’t long before the heavens really opened. The wind also decided it wanted a piece of the action and blew ferociously…The traffic of course, even though it was Saturday afternoon was getting heavier by the minute. Rounding one four lane, right hand bend, it was as much as I could do to turn the bike and push it into the corner, so hard was the wind blowing at me! This was not fun!  From there, if you can believe it, things just got worse, much worse! The traffic was completely snarled up, I was not only struggling to keep the bike in anything like a straight line, the rain had also all but killed any semblance of a chance I had of seeing the Sat Nav screen to find which way I needed to go through the chaos. At that moment I just wanted to be home, sat in front of my little log fire with a nice glass of single malt in my hand…In fact at one point I remember screaming into my helmet  “I wanna go home!” Anyway, I survived and eventually cleared the city, travelling at about 5mph for several miles in 14 lanes of  bumper to bumper traffic. I kid you not! Ok, half of them were going in the other direction but let me just say; Fun it was not.

Soaked, frozen and thoroughly fed up, I suddenly spotted a motel right next to the road. That was it, no way was I going to pass that one up, to not only shiver the night away, but also to have to put on all my soggy kit next morning and to have to sleep with it all in the tent… Walking in to reception I pressed the bell and stood dripping all over the floor, Yes, he had a room and the price wasn’t too bad at $55, thank God! Although I think at that moment I’d have taken it at $200 such was my mental state! To the guys amazement I asked for the heating in my room to be put on and then turned it full on! A hot shower, a change of clothes and I felt almost human again. That had certainly been by far the worst day of the trip and to be honest I can’t think of many worse days…ever!

The motel wasn't bad, but there wasn't even tea or coffee in the room or any way to make it, short of going back out to the bike in the rain and risking burning the whole kit and caboodle down by firing up my little petrol stove in the room. Something which, even in my slightly deranged state of mind, I could see was not a good option. Watching some of the coming and goings through my window, I’m fairly convinced that once again I had ended up staying in the local “House of ill repute”! But they didn’t bother me, so live and let live I say! However my state of mind that night did not make for much sleep. In fact by 4am I was considering getting dressed and heading off. It was only the fact that it was still raining slightly that stopped me.

When the dawn finally broke it was as dull and gloomy as my mood! At that moment I would gladly have just jumped on a plane at Chicago airport and flown home… Not so easy however with half a ton of motorcycle as your hand luggage!!! A refrain from a John Denver song kept buzzing through my head; Some days are diamonds, some days are stone, Some time the heartaches won’t leave you alone” I pressed on. In view of my dislike of both Niagara and Chicago it was time for a drastic rethink of my plans. I decided to head straight across country to meet up with Taz, Joel and Jim in Creston, BC. But that was still 2700 miles away so in the meantime, I was just going to have to make the best of it. As the day got into its stride, the sky brightened, the temperature heightened and slowly but surely my mood lightened. I had made up my mind to run the Interstate for a couple of day and see how it went. Not the best way to see the USA, but to be brutally frank, I’d had enough of it for the moment and I was sick of my own company. Sometime travelling can be like that; it doesn't take too much to upset ones equilibrium or indeed to restore it! So Interstate 94 it was. Milwaukee, Madison and Minneapolis came and went. For the most part I didn't actually see much of them as I stayed on I94  

Finally I came to a halt for the day at Melrose. After only about 250 miles that had felt like 2500 , but I’d had enough! I’d been on the interstate all day, but somehow not made the distance I should have, largely due to many stops to check the oil level as I was losing quite a bit still. Although not as much as would appear from the mess on me and on the bike. A fine oil spray just gets everywhere and coats everything. It seems to be coming from the base of the right hand cylinder; I cursed myself for not having changed the O ring when I did the push rod tube seals shortly before leaving home… but then hindsight and all that!  It was a small camp ground next to a river and it seemed, mainly used by fishermen as there were a few in evidence as I set up my little tent. Once set up I wandered across to the nearest and enquired about grocery stores in town and car washes. I really did need to give the bike a good clean again to get rid of the oil!

I wandered into the small town to see what I could get for dinner, and hopefully a couple of cold beers. The former was fine, the later not so lucky!. I asked a guy ( a customer) in the supermarket where they kept the beers. He replied that this was Minnesota and the area was still dry on Sundays, so no chance. Oh well, not a big deal. I paid for my groceries and left. However, by the time I got back to my tent, the guy from the supermarket was waiting for with… yes, you guessed it, a couple of ice cold beers! He even apologised for the fact that it was only Bud! Yet another, small, but very gratefully received, Random Act of Kindness.

Mark's temporary home! at least there is good fishing

Later in the evening I got talking to the fisherman I’d asked for directions. Mark was actually living in his tent and literally fishing for his supper. Although working now, he had fallen on hard times and the tent was the only thing he could afford to live in at present. He worked at the local turkey processing plant, but the pay was low, and by the time he had paid alimony to his ex he hardly had enough to live on, However, yet again an example of those with the least still being quick to share what little they have… I had a couple of his cheap beers as we talked the evening away.  It seems that although the US does, like the UK, have a minimum wage structure in place, it is even lower than ours, and of course they don’t have anything like the generous welfare handout that the UK has.


Next morning Mark was up and away to work even before I awoke, so I didn't get a chance to say goodbye. However, I did pop down to the supermarket and feeling strangely, very guilty, was queuing up as the liquor store opened at 8am to buy a nice big pack of beers to leave Mark as a gesture of thanks. With that done, I packed and hit the road once more!. Back on the I94 heading west.

No comments:

Post a Comment