Thursday 30 July 2015

Wednesday 29th July



 Despite being up bright and early to ensure that I was clear of the showers before the hoards of cyclists that had arrived during the evening opened their eyes, it was mid-day before I finally bade farewell to Jim and Caroline at Whitehorse’s Tim Holtan’s. Caroline had cooked us all breakfast of scrambled eggs with onion and tomato,  all packed into a nice fresh whole grain roll. Washed down with a couple of cups of fresh coffee it hit the spot a treat! We rode together into the city, they to check on their chains and sprockets which were on order at a local bike dealer; I to find an ATM, and pick up a few supplies to see me through the next couple of days. We rendezvoused at Timmy’s for a final cup of coffee and to make full use of their free internet access. I was worried about my computer as I had failed to get it to charge at all yesterday despite trying it from my bike, from the site coffee shop and even scrounging a different lead from one of the girls; but no it simply didn't want know. However this morning, plugged into one of Timmy’s many sockets, lo and behold
It started charging straight away. It was however painfully slow, probably due the the fact that the place was packed with every man and his dog frantically tapping away at their many and various devices. So it was a quick upload of pure text, the piccys will have to come later.


I said goodbye somewhat sadly as I had really enjoyed their company and the friendship they have shown me over the last few days. We have laughed a lot, talked a lot and, well, it must be said, drunk a lot together and I've enjoyed every second of their company. However like most such meeting on the road, we have to move on, although it is quite possible that me may well meet up again as we are all heading in the same general direction for the moment.


I left rode back past the Robert Service Camp Ground for the last time as I headed east to pick up the Alaska Highway once more which I follow for the first 240 miles down to Watson lake, where I camped on the way up. Then I'm heading for the Liard Hot Springs. It wasn't on my itinerary,  but having been told by many that it is a must do had more or less convinced me, now with the chance of just possible bumping into Jim and Caroline one more time, it’s a must. From there I back track a little again to take the Cassiar Highway south to Hyder, where hopefully I’ll catch a glimpse of the bears fishing in the river for salmon…     

No comments:

Post a Comment