Sunday 5 May 2013

Back on the road again !



Yes, even a little earlier than I thought… I left home at about 7.30 this morning (Saturday) to head down to Zen Overland to meet up with Gabriel, who was going to fit a couple of new tyres for me. I had initially thought that I would finish off the Heidenaus, which I had bought in Bulgaria last summer with the run through Spain and replace them at Algeciras. However, that idea went out the window when Dave at Just Print called me on Wednesday afternoon asking if I could help out by taking an urgent but quite small parcel down to London for him. Always happy to oblige, particularly if it involves a ride on the bike, I set off early Thursday morning for a dash to Putney, managing to fit in two meetings with potential (now confirmed) Scoots riders en-route! The down side was that 400 miles of mainly motorway meant that the rear tyre would have been as smooth as a baby's bum before I saw the signs for Algeciras .
I have never used Zen Overland before, but I'm damn sure I will be back to spend even more of my dosh before very long. As it is, I not only got fitted up with some nice new Mefo tyres at a very good price, but also splashed out on some rather cool LED spot lights to supplement the pathetic head light on the airhead. I already have a pair of HID spots but the problem is that if I run on main beam for long periods, i.e. late at night with no oncoming traffic (yes, it does happen in Wales!) I end up with a flat battery, as the output from the airheads generator is only about 260 watts. With headlight, 2 spots, tail light and GPS all running along with the draw needed to power the engine, 260 watts is simply not enough, but with 2 x 10 watt LED spots running I save a cool 80 watts so all should hopefully be OK. Gabe couldn’t have been more helpful or accommodating, allowing me full use of his workshop and tools to fit the lights and even providing a curry for lunch courtesy of wife, Charlotte.  As Arnie would say… I’ll be back!

Tonight I have the dubious privilege of staying on the most expensive camping pitch I have ever occupied. To be fair (!) I did get a discount of £3.50 as I didn’t need electricity but other than that I paid the same price as a Winnebago…? So it still cost me £17.50 for the night. I wouldn’t mind if the facilities were anything special but with just one male shower for the whole site I think I may have to make do with a quick rub down in the morning. No wonder I usually wild camp! The shop is tiny and pathetic, WiFi that you have to pay for (and doesn’t work!) no bar or club, either on site or in the village and a main road well within earshot! Not my idea of an ideal stopover, but then I guess it is Bank Holiday, and this is Rip-off Britain! Ho Hum !!

It seems that the Boss has taken it on herself to start making executive decisions  in my absence, usurping my power… (what power?) !!! Just goes to show that I can’t relax for a minute from my high power position of Project Manager, although to be fair I have tried to resign a few times so I suppose it is to be expected….

Tomorrow (Sunday) I have only about 25 mile left to go to the ferry but I need to find a few shops for some last minute bits and pieces before I board the boat. Departure is not until 3.45pm so I should have plenty of time. The bike was running like a total dog this afternoon, and I’m wondering if the last tank of fuel I picked up was contaminated with diesel. It certainly smelt like it when I used it in the MSR stove to cook dinner; it seemed to smoke more than usual too! Never mind, I’ll see what tomorrow brings… It’s gone damn cold tonight and although it is only 8.15pm and still light I’m already tucked up in the tent. I think and early night with some gentle music to block out the traffic may be just the ticket! Nite Nite!  

1 comment:

  1. I dont know Dennis, what are we like ! I show you a crackin pair of LED lights on my GS, you show me a pair of Keen sandals...... Yeap, you can bet that now you have some new lights and I have some new sandals. Hope the bike is fuel, have a great trip down.

    ReplyDelete