Thursday 21 May 2015

Back to the Mainland !

Tonight I'm sitting at the edge of Prince Edward Island contemplating my mornings ride across the longest bridge I have any been over. The Confederation Bridge joins the eastern Canadian provinces of Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick, making travel throughout the Maritimes easy and convenient. The curved, 12.9 kilometre (8 mile) long bridge is the longest in the world crossing ice-covered water, and more than a decade after its construction, it endures as one of Canada’s top engineering achievements of the 20th century. The cost on the motorcycles is just $18.25 or about £10; it works out somewhat cheaper per mile than the Severn bridge by a long long way, and like the Severn bridge you only pay one way.

It’s been quite a tough day today, even though I've only done about 450 km. The road has been mainly straight and flat, the scenery nothing to write home about, and all because a young couple at the camp site last night told me I must visit the North Cape because “It’s Awesome”… Well not in my book I'm afraid, I guess we just have a slightly different slant on things. Yes, it was interesting to see the 2 km reef which stretches out to sea from the far tip of PEI, but the whole atmosphere of the place was wrecked for me by the tacky gift shop/ restaurant and the gigantic wind turbines! So a bit of a wasted day
really but you can’t win them all. Oh and it’s topped off now by being in the most expensive and worst camp site so far which is just off the main highway and next to a factory which is emitting a continuous whine… no it’s not tinnitus from being on the bike to long… but as I said you can’t win them all.

The last couple of days by contrast have been spectacular! I completed the Cabot Trail after overnighting at a great littler cove at the mouth of a river near Louisburgh,  my second wild camp in a row. The whole day’s ride had been a
joy. With a ride up to the very top of Cape Breton Island to a tiny place called Meat Cove. Why Meat Cove rather than Meet Cove or Fish Cove I have no idea and even Wikipedia doesn't give any clues

Meat Cove

as to it’s origin. The road was part tarmac and part gravel with stunning views and lots of “interesting” bends to negotiate. Back tracking onto the Cabot Trail I stopped at Cabot Landing which is supposed to be the place John Cabot landed in discovering North America… and I always thought it was Christopher Columbus!  It was also the spot where the first transatlantic cable came ashore.

A little later I stopped for lunch and bumped into the same couple that I had met the previous day. I only wanted something light to ordered their Piccy Platter which seemed to fit the bil at $7.85. The plate arrived piled high with chicken fillets, hot wings, deep fried vegetables and cheese rolls. I was horrified… even more so when the bill arrived! Silly me it wasn't $7.85 it $17.85. Still at least over here they are quite happy to give you a container to take away what you can’t eat. So that was the next days breakfast and lunch sorted! That was me just about done with Cape Breton so I headed west and ended up at the ferry terminal for PEI. Not only was it free, it was just about to sail and meant that I got to ride the aforementioned huge bridge! So all in all a good few days.


Tomorrow I head north up to the St Lawrence Seaway before turning west along the very edge of the USA before dropping back down a bit to Niagara Falls, but that’s still about 2000 kms so hopefully a few more adventures and good roads along the way. 

The view from my second wild camp


No comments:

Post a Comment