Friday 29 May 2015

My morning Rant !!!!

Monday 25th May was Memorial Day and a national holiday in the USA. It is a day set aside to honour those lost in combat, in some way akin to our Remembrance Day, although they also celebrate 11th November as Armistice Day. Today virtually every town I have been through has been getting ready for a big parade. Something which has already come across to me very strongly in the few days that I have been here is just how much the Americans support both their country and their troops. As I rode across the border I was amazed to see every street lined with American flags, flying from every telegraph pole and also the vast majority of homes. Everything from a small pennant to huge 8ft x 4ft flags pinned to the walls. It seems that not only do the people support their country, they are not afraid to show it! Unlike in the UK, where the PC brigade are too afraid of offending anyone, to show such a public display of nationalism. We would at best be labelled racist for such an open and unreserved show of patriotism. As most of you reading this will know, I have a rather special and very personal paint job on my bike which causes comment wherever I go, rather more here than I had ever envisaged. As I said it is very personal to me. What has amazed me over here is the number of people who have seen it and broken down in tears, including, today, one rather large, hairy arsed Harley rider. I was completely speechless at such a show of raw and unabashed emotion!


Whilst in full rant mode… Another huge difference I’ve already spotted is the respect with which the Yanks treat their deceased. I have become increasingly disgusted over the last few years at the state of the Cemeteries and Graveyards back home. Not least, the one in which my son Sam’s ashes are buried. The grass is never cut save by me or someone else equally disillusioned that takes it upon them selves to do the job. But that still leaves the rubbish bins overflowing simply because the church staff simply can’t be bothered to put them out for collection. Contrast that with both Canada and the US where I have yet to find a single blade of grass out of place in a Cemetery, and I have seen a lot of them! Every one of them is immaculately cared for. Speaking to Diane and Rick about it after Im had spent the night on their plot, it seems that this is nothing to do with the churches, but funded by the communities themselves. What a great shame that we in the UK can’t find it in our hearts to pay as much respect and dignity to our departed souls and heros!

No comments:

Post a Comment