Friday 15 May 2015

Let's make like a real tourist!!!

Thursday 14th. That's Yesterday LOL

Time to shake the lethargy out of my head, get my arse into gear and see something of this fine city of Halifax. After yesterday’s disappointment at Customs I spent the afternoon sorting out my kit and trying to rekindle the enthusiasm which had brought me here in the first place. To put things into perspective, assuming I get the bike on Friday, or even at the very worst on Tuesday, I have lost just one week of a 22 week trip. Even this can be made up by changing my homeward flight if needed. Yes, it had cost me about £300 which I hadn’t budgeted for, Dartmouth on the ferry sounded inviting, although David had warned me that there was not a lot to see there. So, showered, breakfasted, camera etc sorted into my rucksack and off to the bus stop which is about 100 yds from the motel. I hardly had time to catch my breath at the stop and the bus appeared as if by magic! $2.50 dropped into the slot and off we went.
but I had built in a contingency, so even that is not a complete disaster. The sun was shinning once more and I was going to catch the bus into town for a bit more sight seeing. A trip across the bay to

Somehow I got into conversation with the bus driver, I’m not really quite sure how, but such thing just sort of happen around me, as anyone who know me knows…. It transpired that he was also a biker! A couple of years back whilst, I would guess, in his mid fifties, he and his wife both trained, took their tests and now ride motorcycles!!! We talked non-stop all the way into town, with another passenger, also a biker, joining in occasionally. That’s what I love about travel, it’s the people you meet that make it so very special. A slightly strange coincidence was that last year whilst I was enjoying my first ever trip to Canada, he and his wife were making their first ever visit to the UK, staying in and thoroughly enjoying, London. He now rides a 750 Honda Shadow, a bike which I have also owned and enjoyed in years gone by, albeit the 1100cc version.

Almost too soon we arrived at my stop and he pointed me the way to the ferry, which I had decided would be my first stop. I entered the little terminal, flashed my transfer ticket and within minutes was standing on the stern of the little ship as we headed off across the water. It was only about a 15 minute trip, but it was great to see the city from a different perspective. The shoreline was dominated by the twin towers of Purdy Wharf which I had been up (3 times!!!) yesterday. I got a little excited when I saw a large ship manoeuvring over by the Autoport, wondering if it was the Electra with my bike on board  finally arriving, only to be brought back to earth with a bump when it turned and could be recognised as a fuel tanker.

David was right, there was not a lot to see in Dartmouth other than the ferry terminal and adjoining gardens but it was pleasant enough. I even got into conversation with a young lady named Lindsey who kindly took a photo of me against the Halifax skyline. By now it was nearly 1pm, the time at which my transfer ticket expired, so I jumped back on another ferry with about 2 minutes to spare and headed back across the water and into town.


It had been suggested to me that the view from the new library building was something a bit special so that’s where I eventually found myself. Never mind the view, the library itself was a bit special. A huge glass and steel edifice of five floors, crammed with books and computer terminals. They were of course all hooked into the internet and connected to headphones, to keep the traditional sacrosanct silence, and free for all WiFi to boot. I have never seen such a modern concept of a library. It has apparently drawn world acclaim for its architecture. The fifth floor of the building extended beyond the lower floors with completely glass walls, giving the feeling of just hanging in space. And as promised the views of the city were indeed spectacular. Amongst all the urban paraphernalia I spotted a green hill top right in the centre of town with some odd looking shapes on the top. It turned out to be the Halifax Citadel

The present Citadel, completed in 1856 is the fourth in a series of forts to occupy this commanding position which overlooks the harbour, the first being built as early as 1749. It has never been attacked and so the impressive cannon have never been fired in anger. I must say however that I got a bit of a shock whilst over the over side of the water at Dartmouth earlier when I heard what sounded like a huge explosion coming from somewhere in the city. One of the cannon is in fact fired every day to signal noon! I’m told that these days they only use 1lb of black powder in the cannon as the 4lb that used to be used up ubtil the early 1900s, shattered windows in the city on a regular basis…. Having heard the report that 1lb makes, I can well believe it.

Time was marching on and as David was collecting me at around 4.30 for a trip down to Peggy’s Cove, my thoughts turned to catching the bus back to base. As I scanned the vista from the Citadel walls I saw what I thought I recognised as some base ball pitches laid out on a field next to the
University. If I was right the road at the far side was the one along which I had travelled on my way in on the bus. So gambling on my instincts I headed over that way. The Gods were certainly smiling on me today. Not only was my assumption right, no sooner had I got to the bus stop than a bus turned up!  The one place on my list which I hadn’t managed to get to was the Armoury, but that could wait for another day! A little after 4.30pm David arrived as arranged for our trip down to Peggy’s Cove.

I can’t begin to tell you how much I have appreciated all the time David has put into helping me since my arrival in Halifax. From the moment I hobbled out of the airport arrivals hall, he has been an absolute star! Turning what would have been an incredibly difficult period into something I will always remember for his kindness and assistance.

The drive down to Peggy’s Cove was the sort of scenery and roads that I had come to find. We left town on big, wide, straight roads, but soon turned onto the much narrower, twisty road that ran around this wild, craggy, weather beaten coast. We made several stops along the way to take photographs. Indeed it was one of those journeys where you could stop every hundred yards or so to take photos. Every twist and turn brought another stunning vista into view. Unfortunately, as this coast faces West, this late in the day the sun was really in the wrong position to make the best of such stunning scenery… Guess that means I may have to come back another day!!!


By the time we got to Peggy’s Cove the sun was dropping fast as was the temperature. That, however, had not deterred the large number of tourists still clambering across the rocks and taking pictures of the famous lighthouse. Of course I had to join in. You simply can’t visit to a place like that without the obligatory piccys, can you? The day was rounded off with a light supper at the adjacent restaurant which, whilst a bit tacky with their lines of Chinese made souvenirs and lighthouse replicas, served some decent food and some really nice homemade deserts. Whilst David tucked in to the biggest piece of Ginger cake I've ever seen, I rounded off with a somewhat more modest portion of Apple Crisp and Ice cream… otherwise known as Apple Crumble on our side of the pond.


No comments:

Post a Comment