Friday 6 July 2012

Bends,bends and more bends.


It’s Friday evening 6th July, and tonight I’m back in a civilized (crowded) camp site! Having left Athens on Wednesday I headed over to the coast at Rafina where my map showed a few camp sites. It’s funny but there appears to be absolutely no inland camp sites in Greece, they are all on the coast. As they were all full to bursting point, as I said in my last post, I resorted to my favourite type of camping; wild camping! I then ran up the coast to cross onto the Island of Evia from where I took the ferry back to the mainland at Glifa. I love the Greek ferries they are so efficient and reasonably priced, you just turn up, buy your ticket and ride on… The ferry I crossed on had just 3 cars, my bike and a total of 8 passengers, not very profitable but I guess they must be subsidised by the government!

Coffee Stop by the Sea
Tonight's Camping
Last Night's Wild Camp
LastI had spotted a road on the that looked as though it had been shot out of one of those party string aerosols… more bends than you could shake a stick at; to be honest, by the end of the day…too many. The road and the scenery was fantastic, but hairpin after hairpin on narrow mountain roads, even relatively traffic free roads certainly takes it’s toll on both nerves and energy so I was very happy to start looking for another wild camp at around “Joel” time (about 4pm!!!) It took awhile but yet another seldom used track into an olive grove presented itself just as I was starting to get a little worried. I had really enjoyed the days riding, I felt smoother than I had been of late. I seem to have at last settled down to riding alone once more and not having Joel and Taz in front of me. I was however still feeling a little lost and with Sunday 8th July looming large in my thoughts I guess it’s not really surprising. It was time for some serious planning for the next few days. Which is why tonight I am on that very civilized (and crowded) camp site close (100mts) to the beach at Kalivia Varikou!  I  might even have a break from cooking and eat at the camp restaurant which looks good and is reasonably priced..

No comments:

Post a Comment