Monday 2 July 2012

What a Difference a Day Makes!


What a difference a day makes, 24 little hours…etc, etc (well rest of the verse not appropriate anyway!)  Boarded the ferry at about 11am yesterday after a pleasant enough run back to Bari from the camp site; I was amazed to see the beaches already packed when I left at around 7.30am! An uneventful but quite pleasant crossing in company of a truck driver called Alan from the Cotswolds. A bit of a sleepless night, as being tight (skint!) I hadn’t booked a cabin and slept on the bench seating in the restaurant. It was soon 7.30am and time to disembarque in Patras.

After the mayhem of Italy, Greece has so far come in like a breath of fresh air with empty road, empty beaches and I can only guess from looking at the car parks… empty hotels! I’m nor sure yet if this is a symptom of the economic climate of just the region I’m in… but I love it, quite a few camp sites around, but now I’ve found this internet cafĂ©, I’ve updated my GPS so won’t need WiFi tonight so may well opt for a wild camp on a deserted beach! I haven’t done the Roman ruins yet, after my wonderful experience at Assisi, I’ve decided that early is the way to go so coming back at 8am as they open in the morning and hoping to miss the coach loads of tourists… Oh and I need to find a supermarket somewhere for food as everything I have is either hot and sweaty (bit like me) or needs cooking and as I have lost a vital bit of my stove, cooking is out at the moment
Rant Time
Why Oh Why to manufacturers insist of ruining a good product by ceapening production. My old Primus Omnifuel is nearly 20 years old, but then Cotswold outdoor lost the pump which I had taken in for refurbishment, they gave me a nice shiney new one. So I said thank you very much and pensioned the old one of to the rest of the bits that I intend to put on eBay one day. However the stove has never had the "solid", dependable feel of the old one and one noticeable fault is that the flame spreader falls off; something of which they must be aware as it was held on (for the first 5 minutes ) by a very weak split ring. Anyway at my last wild camp I managed to lose my last spare one... so no early morning cuppa, no evening coffee and more importantly no hot food or bannock !!! Rant over, at least till I get home and contact Primus about it....

No comments:

Post a Comment