Friday 6 July 2012

The Culture Vulture's Cracked It ! Well Almost!


I seem to have got this culture lark crack, just have to get up a little earlier than usual to be at the gates as they open. Rolled up at Dephi at 8.00am precisely, had a leisurely stroll around, right up to the top to the Stadium and was halfway back down before the first tourist coach had even appeared on the horizon… And yes, it was worth the effort! The location alone is simply stunning and provides a fabulous backdrop to the magnificence and grandeur of the architecture. Altogether an amazing experience made all the better by having it all to myself (other than a few staff) . So it was onward and south towards Athens.

Another beachside campsite awaited me and I pitched my tent as close to the sea as I could right on the edge of the cliffs which also made it just a short stagger to the beach bar… Unfortunately as it turned out it was an uphill stagger back to the tent… Having had a couple of beers whilst trying unsuccessfully to connect to their WiFi I got chatting to the rather pleasant young lady who it turned out had only recently taken over the bar with her husband and a friend. So after a short while discussing the Greek Economic situation/world politics/religion… no strike that last one, to dangerous!!! The husband brought out a lemonade bottle from the fridge containing a clear liquid and proceeded to fill 3 shot glasses with it. Apparently it was Raki and guaranteed not to give you a bad head, which was just as well as several more followed over the next very pleasant hour of so before I took my leave and stagger back up the hill to my cliff edge perch…. When we met the following morning I can only surmise that he had several more after my departure as he looked a little the worse for wear and wifey was nowhere to be seen, but then it was only 7.45am as I pulled off site heading for Athens.

It was a good hour and a half ride into Athens and the traffic was in full swing by the time I arrived. What can I say? It was I guess like any capital city, busy, no, make that frantic with the usual Mediterranean mix of thousands on small bikes and scooters amongst the cars, coaches vans and lorries. I must admit it took me all of…. 5 minutes to get the hang of it and I loved it! The traffic lights GP were no contest all… I came last every time (well almost) but hell it was fun. But ther was supposed to be a serious side to my visit not just playing in the traffic! So I parked up by the Temple of Zeus (at least I think it was!) Had a wander, took some pics and then tried to find the Acropolis. Dead easy you might think as it’s right on top of a huge hill in the middle of the city… Well yes, except it sort of disappears at ground level when your only a block or two away and signs were conspicuous by there absence. GPS to the rescue, only problem was it located it easily enough but didn’t find the front door… so along with a couple of young Australian college students I wandered around the back streets of Athens till we stumbled upon the huge crowds of visitors all heading for the ticket desks. Ah well! It was by now nearly mid-day and the hoards were here in there thousands.
So I’m afraid I took some pictures both of the Acropolis and the crowds and legged it back to the bike for some more fun in the traffic. No kidding, I loved it and by the time I left I was actually winning some the traffic light GP’s !!!  So feeling a little lost, with no idea of what to do next I headed to the hills and decided I would head for the hills and find a wild camp for the night. A little easier said than done as it is very urbanised and then outside that intensive agriculture. However I soon found a spot along a relatively unused track leading to an olive grove and spent a very peaceful, undisturbed and alcohol free night amongst the myriad of little biting and hoping things !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment