Saturday 24 November 2012

Dinner in Paradise


Gansery


Ooo heck! The days don’t half fly by out in this amazing place! I’m finding it really hard to believe that it is already a full week since we arrived from the coast and that in just a few days time, on Monday, we will be heading back to Luigi’s… I really don’t want to leave; and NO that isn’t just due to my euphoria after an evening spent in the company of the most beautiful young ladies I have ever had the privilege to take to dinner!!!!!  I’m still reeling and wondering why me? HaHaHa But hell if I was 30 years younger…….

Gansery was an absolute delight to spend the evening with and Glenis was amazed when I returned to the bunker at a very respectable 9pm, but to be brutally honest as gorgeous as she most certainly is, I felt as though I was dating my grand-daughter…. So we parted  still very good friends… Another time, another place, who knows? She could well have ended up as my first Gambian wife!!!! Like they say… no fool like an old fool!

After a good night’s sleep ( I didn’t even hear the first cock crow!) I sit contemplating the day ahead and thinking of what we had managed to achieve yesterday; it certainly didn’t all go to plan, and yet we did manage to tick off a good few more boxes on Anita’s never ending list. I did manage to get to the Physio dept for 9.30 and in fact I’m back again this morning for some more treatment on my ankle. We managed to catch up with some more of the people we have been asked to contact; I didn’t manage to get hold of Dembo for the inspection of the children’s ward and then at 2pm we headed off into the bush along with Sulayman and driver Lamin to take some aid to a little invalid boy, 7 year old Mohammed. Although apparently “normal” at birth and until 2 years of age, he then suffered a deteriorating condition which saw him confined to a pushchair and unable to feed himself, indeed unable to take solid food at all. So we had instructions to take the family a bag of rice and to purchase a milking nanny goat along with her kid.

If you will excuse the blasphemy, I felt a bit like a disciple and in a way I guess we both are, spreading  the gospel according to Anita, and for this week at least,  doing her good works. Heading back to Bansang we stopped to purchase a mattress for another child and his family although due to the long ride out to Mohammed’s compound we had run out of time to get across the river to see Eddrissa, so hopefully we will tick off that one today.

Also today I hope to finally nail Dembo’s feet to the floor, we will be visiting one of the local schools, seeing Eddrissa and his family and I will also be going to the SEN school with Caddi to see about sponsoring her there. So once more busy, busy, busy… but we are getting there and the list is getting shorter, at last we are beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel!
A phrase from a 1970s song by Clive James and Pete Atkin keeps running through my mind this morning as I saw Gansery off on the bus to her mother's ….. And she got up and walked like a princess away from my life !    LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment