Tuesday 13 November 2012

I've arrived!



13/11/12
A 5am start (again!)  as I had to be at Gatport Airwick by 7 for my 9 o’clock flight, It’s wonderful having niece Helen and Hubby drive me in… although not for much longer as they are on the move. I can’t thank them enough for all their help and support. All went smoothly at check-in with no nasty surprises and by 3pm we were on the tarmac at Banjul a full 30 minutes early. After the usual scrummage at the baggage carousel, I soon spotted Luigi’s driver and Glenys waiting for me. Glenys had arrive a couple of hours earlier so had had quite a long wait. Into the Minibus and just a few minutes later we were being greeted by Julie and an ever more lovely Mariama. Quick refreshing cold shower and off for a cold beer to try to digest the news that Glenis had shown me on the way  from the airport. It was a bolt out of the blue… due to a (hopefully) small but ongoing health problem Anita will not be joining us ! Initially she had cancelled her Tuesday flight but booked for Friday, but that was now not to be. Glenis and I were well and truly in it up to our necks… With meeting to be attended, decisions to be made and people to be met.  I’m not sure two of us are really up to the task of replacing Anita; indeed I think a whole army of people would be needed to even try to emulate the work she gets through in a two or three week stint out here and I for one wouldn’t ever try.
Tomorrow we have truck from Bansang Hospital arriving to take me shopping… for several sets of chairs, a huge water tank and various farming supplies amongst other things. Then it’s up to Bansang for the fun to really start. Ho Hum! I just hope we can live up the faith Anita has in us.
Meanwhile I hope you will all join with me in wishing Anita a very speedy return to full health and to her work at Bansang. I know there will be a lot of long faces when the news circulates around Bansang that she will not be joining us this week.

PS having problems getting my phone to work at the moment so sorry to anyone expecting to hear from me...


No comments:

Post a Comment