Sunday 25 November 2012

Sunday Morning 25th November – “The Bunker”



I didn’t sleep too well last night; just too many conflicting thoughts and emotions running around in what passes for my brain! Stays in Bansang are always a bit of an emotional rollercoaster, but none has ever been more so than this! Now, as it draws to a close, both Glenis and I are torn between what I can only describe as the captivation of this “other world” where material possessions are few, wealth is counted in pence rather than pounds, but as the song says “ Love is all around” , and our imminent return to what I guess I must describe as “normality”. Now those of you that have followed my posts from Greece and Bulgaria will know well my thoughts on what passes for “normality” . Gambia, but more particularly Bansang, turns it all on it’s head once more!

Words to describe my feelings for these wonderful, loving, caring people fail me. It would take a poet of some stature, certainly a wordsmith of far, far greater talent than I to express the emotions running through my head last night and indeed this morning. Relief is in there somewhere; relief that we have finally just about reached the end of Anita’s huge list. Concern; certainly concern as to whether we have in fact managed to complete our given tasks to anything like the high standard that Anita sets in her own, inimitable way. Equal measures of bewilderment , happiness  and gratitude at how completely Bansang and of course, particularly the hospital staff have taken us to their hearts!  Love…. Oh yes, a deep love that will, I know keep me returning to my Bansang family until the day I cease to draw breath; a love for the people, for the place and of course for Anita, a lady whose selfless devotion to a cause she so fervently believes in knows no bounds and should be an inspiration to us all. Amazement, that Glenis and I have managed to co-habit in such perfect harmony for two weeks without so much as a raised voice or frown. We have laughed together and cried together, been eaten alive by mosquitos together and had a thoroughly wonderful time together, whilst all the while missing and worrying about our friend, Anita and just what she is enduring back at home in Kettering.  And last but by no means least a deep, deep melancholy at the thought of leaving it all behind to return to a cold, heartless world of greed, consumerism and a sefishness that pervades our so called civilized world from the bottom to the very highest echelons of  society, although that melancholy is of course tempered by a joy to be returning, albeit fairly briefly in my case , to family, friends and loved ones back home. And whilst these feelings and thoughts come from my heart, I a have a strong feeling that Glenis is suffering in much the same way.
 
Meanwhile, today we head north once more, across the little ferry to visit Alhargie, his wife and newborn baby at their compound. This time we will be travelling by Scoot so it might be a somewhat different experience than Thursdays trip in the Landcruiser, particularly for Glen ! Before that we have a couple of brief local visits to make; to Abdouli and new wife, and to Kaddi’s ( not Caddi, as I usually spell it!) family compound.

Tonight we will be taking Wandifa and Abdoul Karem to dinner at Paradise Lodge where I am sure it will turn into a discussion of work done and still to be done… but before them we need to confirm our return flights, pack most of our kit away, take an inventory of what is left in the larder and do a little housework…. Hey Ho! No rest for the wicked.

No comments:

Post a Comment