Monday 12 November 2012

Remembrance Sunday



11/11/12
A long, long day that just flew by. Waking at 2.30am is never a good portent for the day ahead, but try as I may sleep just wasn’t about to embrace me again. So after tossing and turning for another hour or so, 3.45am saw me down stairs putting on the kettle for my ritual morning cuppa (or three!). I had intended being on the road north by 6 and I hadn’t yet loaded the bike… Opening the front door for a peak at what the weather was doing, I was gutted to find that it was raining quite hard, and with the temperature hardly managing stay positive I had a very rapid change of plan and slung all my kit into the old Pajaero. Yes, it would cost me a bit more in fuel, but it would also mean I would be rather more likely to arrive at The National Memorial Arboretum at Alrewas in Staffs in one piece… The decision was a good one; within just a few miles of home the rain stopped, the  temperature dropped to -3 and thick mist became the order of the day. It was over 2 hours before the temperature managed to climb back above zero and the mist continued intermittently for the rest of my journey

I arrived at the NMA just after 9am with the proceeding due to start at 9.45. I guess I should have checked out what was on before I made my decision to attend and booked my hotel and dinner date. One day I may learn to do things in the correct order! The place was absolutely heaving with the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester as guests of honour and more Bishops than you could shake a stick at… not really what I was wanting. However the sun had come out and inspite of the sad and solemn reason for my presence, it felt good to be there. I found the welcome peace and quiet of the Gunners Memorial Garden and just sat in the warm sun and… well, remembered! My thought turned to Sam, as a baby, of him growing up and the pleasure he always took from being outside in the garden and in the woods; his love of nature and adventure, the mischief he always managed to get into, and through my tears I just had to smile at his exuberance and love of live. Whilst I understand all that Remembrance Day stands for, I need no need of special occasion or date to remember Sam; he is in my thoughts constantly, every minute of every day. I had to wait for the formal proceeding to finish before being allowed to lay a wreath for Sam from all the family beneath his name on the Wall of Remembrance, it was one of many but that in no way diminished it, quite the reverse in fact, together they made a very powerful statement. I walked slowly back to the Gunner’s garden and sat again for a while in the warm sun before heading off in mid-afternoon to find my hotel which was just a few miles north of the NMA, having realized that I hadn’t eaten since breakfast at 4am, I though I might get ready for dinner.

 I’d arranged to meet up with a friend for dinner and promptly at 4pm she arrived to collect me from the Travel Lodge. Living just around the corner she knew all the good eateries in the area so we were soon sat in deep conversation at the Waterside restaurant overlooking Barton upon Needham marina. The food was good, the conversation fun and the company bright and very welcome after a somewhat sombre day of reflection. The next 6 hours just flew by as it always does when you are in good company. We talked of Sam, of families and friends, of good times and bad and just enjoyed each others company. All too soon I was back in my scruffy little hotel room, devoid of the least scrap of character or homeliness. Give me Eddie’s place in Farrafenni any day over such soulless surroundings! However I must admit that after such a day, sleep came mercifully easily and I awoke at 7am feeling refreshed and ready for the next installment of whatever life could throw at me… and true to form, it didn’t take long to do it’s worst!

No comments:

Post a Comment