Thursday 6 June 2013

And the work goes on !!!

The first new windows go in !


And how ! Today saw the last of the windows to the ward removed and the first  three of the new ones fitted. The toilet floor has been dug up in readiness for it’s new toilets and tiles. Most of the new low energy lights have been installed and inspite of a foot injury sustained falling off his ladder last week, Mr Painterman was back up on top of it getting a first coat over the ceiling.

And the last of the old come out !


Mr Electrician
Mr Painterman
Meanwhile I was skiving… Yes, I took a day off, well sort of! I jumped on the bike at first light and headed east; destination, the end of The Gambia. But first there was a little matter of some oxygen concentrators at the Basse Clinic which needing fixing. As I suspected all were simple wiring faults which took me less time to fix than it took the staff at the clinic to find them and get the generator started to give me some power!  From there it was a fairly short hop down to the Senegal border which marks the far end of The Gambia. Job(s) done I turned the old girl around and head back to base, but not before I had bumped into Morro in the main street of Basse collecting some tiles we needed; it’s a small place Gambia !

Outside the Customs post at the far end of The Gambia

Once we were both back at the hospital I had a bit of a heart to heart with Morro to discuss time scales on both the Children ward and the Mite House Project which has been left a little forlorn of late as I had insisted that all his men be concentrated on getting the ward finished. However once all the windows in the ward are knocked out to the larger size and rendered to size it will release some men back to the Mite House. All the block work has been done as has most of the wall tiling. The concrete bed bases are in, so in reality there is probably only about two weeks of work left to do.

The other good (?) news is that Morro reckons that the ward will be completed by the middle of next week, and the way things are going, I’m inclined to believe him ! The question mark as to whether or not it is good news is simple that there is not a cat in hells chance of me leaving here 24 hours or so before the completion, so my nice relaxed ride home and my Monday/Tuesday departure rather looks at this stage to be in some jeopardy ! Oh Well, at least I have a nice sedate ride around Poland to look forward to…

The Mite House Accommodation Project














1 comment:

  1. Dennis, you look like ou are losing aome weight, the Airhead is lloking good to go !
    Keep up the good work !

    ReplyDelete