Saturday 8 June 2013

The Storm !



The last of the new windows goes in !

Yesterday was fairly quite day as days go.! Morro had travelled to sort some small family problem whilst he Merry Men got on with fitting the last of the windows, painting the ceiling and chipping up old tiles. After calling over at the ward to check on progress I headed back to the house for a late breakfast and to do some more work on my book. Later in the day I ran down into Bansang to meet up with Boye Bah and Ismailia whom Corinna and I have been supporting for the last few years as Boye was telling me that he was behind with Ismailia’s school fees and had been suspended from school until the arrears were paid. Money sorted and a few new photos taken of the young man, Ismailia is now Seven years old, I thought it must be siesta time. I haven’t been sleeping to well lately as with the rains drawing ever nearer, both temperature and humidity are rising daily…

Ismailia with " father" Boye Bah

A pleasant evening was spend with Dutch friends who are staying at Bintou’s Paradise Lodge, I had cooked Chilli con Carne with rice and managed to get hold of an Avocado so made an Avocado, onion and tomato starter with a vinaigrette dressing which went down very well. I was also expecting a house guest for the night in the form of the deputy permanent Secretary of Health, whom Wandifa had asked me to accommodate.
It started about 3am; I was awoken by a huge crash of thunder and the sounds of the tree branches being blown against the roof. Next came the pitter, patter of light rain drops. I lie in bed feeling quite pleased with myself that I had thought to remove the tank bag from my bike! The lightening became more intense as the cracks of thunder drew closer. All of a sudden it was as though someone had bust a dam somewhere up above as the rain cascaded down in torrents. I got up and went to sit outside on the bed on which I often sleep, to witness the spectacle in all it’s beauty and fury, glad that I wasn’t sleeping out on the bed as the wind was blowing the rain right over it… The temperature had plummeted to a sensible level of, I would guess around 24c, and it was very refreshing just sitting out in the rain and watching the storm which by now was right over head. Eventually I returned to bed as the rain eased back to what would pass for normal back home. This morning everything feel fresher and the colours are more vibrant as I sit listening to the sounds of the chicken, goats and sheep before wandering down to collect some fresh bread for my guests breakfast.

I still can’t see the ward getting finished internally before my departure, as the painting alone must take at least another 3 or 4 days… but then that only takes us to Tuesday, so I shall have to wait and see. Morro should have returned last night and Sulayman should have also come back from the coast on a very late Gella Gella. Oh, and it seems I may get to meet the President on Monday !!!! Never a dull moment in Bansang!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good downpour, the airhead looks clean too. So meeting el' presidentee, sounds very regal. When you leaving for return Dennis

    ReplyDelete