Friday 14 June 2013

I'm Coming Home !!!!



Today (Wednesday)has to count as the most frustrating day of this entire project… so near yet so far. Of all days, the President has to pick today to drive through Bansang, so of course everyone and his dog has to wait for hours in the baking sun, rather than get on with their work. After much cajoling, I did manage to get the orderlies to half-heartedly clean a few of the beds and get them into the ward albeit, damaging a couple of wall corners on the way… Then everyone just downed tools and headed of to stand by the roadside.

It’s now 11.50 and the President has finally just driven through, not even slowing down, never mind stopping, so hopefully we might now be able to get some work done, although I very much doubt if we will get it sorted today now. So departure now looks set for pm Thursday at the earliest. Oh Well, so much for my nice relaxed ride home.

Barring a couple of little jobs for which we require parts, everything is now finished in the Children’s ward, with just a small amount of concreting and painting left outside which I am very happy to leave to Morro to complete without me fussing around him. With that sorted the focus has now turned to the Mite house accommodation units. All the windows and doors are now here and they should be fitted by Monday with the plumbing following straight after. They should certainly be ready for occupation by their new tenants by the end of June, just as I arrive back in the UK !

Beds are all now back in place and first thing tomorrow should see the nurses station and the children moved back to the top of the ward. 
The new theatre windows have also been fitted, but one thing is sure, it is the first and last order that Ahmed at Bossman Windows in Banjul will be getting from us. Whilst the product is of quite good quality, his service is absolute rubbish. In over 46 years of running businesses I don’t think I have ever heard so many lame excuses for non-delivery. Then it gets to a point when he wont even answer your phone calls. There are a huge number of windows that will all need replacing as part of the ongoing refurbishment but there are too many suppliers in the market place to put up with such nonsense.

So Thursday it is that I will finally leave Bansang after nearly 4 months with just a couple of short breaks. Will I be glad to leave? Well the truthful answer is yes and then again no… I’m ready to move on, the project I came to sort is just about finished and everyone seems to be happy with the result; even the BOSS! I’m also looking forwards to travelling once more with Allie and whilst I have been to Poland before there is much of it I haven’t touched and of course Allie and I have always travelled well together over the many years since our first foray into France in our VW camper…. But of course leaving here is always tinged with sadness at leaving behind so many, many friends, both old and new, some of whom I will most probably never see again… that, I guess, is the fate of the traveler.

My aim is to be on the Santander to Plymouth ferry on Tuesday 25th June if at all possible. Sailing to Plymouth puts me in a nice place to pop in to see Les and Jane at Traveldri Plus to pick up a nice new intercom system and a few other bits and pieces no doubt by the time Les has finished with me. Then it’s off to try to meet up with a potential Scoots Trip rider before heading home to Wales for a couple of days! But before all that I have a few more pics to take in the morning, a meeting with the Chief and Wandifa, plus a whole load of goodbyes before I head off once more toward the Janjangbureh ferry, Faraffeni and Senegal !

 Thursday
I think I checked my watch just about every hour last night, I think it was a combination of many things that stopped the sleep fairy from entering my room; thoughts of leaving certainly,  a few concerns about the run home with not only the sand of the mine field to contend with but also the 100 plus kilometres of the Diama piste which I had managed  to avoid on the way out by using the Rosso crossing, but at a huge cost both financially and also in stress levels… And of course thoughts of not only returning home but to then heading off with Allie, travelling together, alone, for the first time on the bike in a good few years ! Yes, more than enough to keep me from getting my much needed beauty sleep!

A small village Nr Faraffeni, The Gambia!

So by 5am I’m up, showered and finishing my packing. Most of it I did yesterday evening, just clothes and wash kit to sort, strip my bed and put the bed sheet and pillow case ready for washing and I was about set to go. By 7am I’m at the hospital saying goodbyes to friends that were working nights; they finish at 8am. Then back to the house double check I’ve got everything then back over for a last meeting with CEO Baba and Wandifa to hand over the balance of the monies due to our builder Morro as the project are finished off. Money checked and counted, last minute issues gone over I I’m off to collect some ice cold water from the fridge, jump on the bike and roar off. By now it was close to 11am and the sun was HOT!  The ferry was of course just unloading on the opposite side so I sat and tried to chill… somewhat difficult I find in 40+ degrees ! Once across and through the Army check point I was running clear and inspite of little sleep I felt good! It’s one of those things that you never ever explain properly to a non-biker, just why it feels so good to be running free with the miles slipping by under your wheels; the sense of freedom, of joy, of escape! I think part of it is simply because of the concentration required, there is little space left for everyday worries to creep in, but it is far, far more than just that !

The Gambia looks quite spectacular after just a couple of storms...

I’d been debating whether to take the short route, straight up to Senegal from Farafeni, or to head right down to Barra before heading north, where I knew that on last years return journey we had enjoyed a hassle free border crossing. In the end I opted for the untried but shorted route and it paid off really well. Less that half an hour from arrival to departure into Senegal with not a cent leaving my pocket… Even the unpaved road north seemed a lot easier than on the way down, I guess I was just “in the groove” today. Having left so late I had no idea where I would end up tonight, but lo and behold I’m now happily ensconced at the Zebrabar having arrived at dusk after a little over 500km. I think I’m going to stay put tomorrow, as inspite of what you dear reader may think, I have not been on holiday, I’ve been working damn hard (just ask the Boss!) and a day off just relaxing and doing a little writing sounds really good to me before I tackle the dreaded Moulay at the border crossing and the Diama Piste. 

Lunch stop in Senegal

Hopefully I’ll also be able to log on to the WiFi in the morning and get this lot up loaded, as I have no idea at all when I will next get ant sort of WiFi  Amazingly I am the only customer on site tonight, and Martin was saying that this has been their worst season for years with people worried about the situation on Mali, Muaritania and even north Senegal, hmm just hope my luck holds, but as Martin also said, it’s probably safer here than in the center of Paris or London… a sentiment with which I heartily concur. Atlantic route crossings from Mauritania into Sengal, I also think that the hassle and costs of just entering the country may also play a part as of course most of the Zebrabar visitors are overlanders. I shall certainly be writing to the Senegalese Embassy when I get back to try to get some clarification as to what is the exact position with regards to entry into the country with a motor vehicle.

Friday
After the best nights sleep I had in weeks, I still awake at 6am !!! The temperature last night was mercifully cool, in fact I even slept with a sheet over me, something I certainly couldn’t have done in Bansang. And I awoke without being bathed in sweat, oh the joy of such little pleasures. Breakfast was a leisurely affair, if a little lonely sat in such a paradise as this all alone. The Zebrabar is without a doubt (in my view) somewhere that would be far better enjoyed with a special someone than alone. When we drop in on the Scoots trip we are usually to worn out to think about such things, but this journey home has hardly started so plenty of time for relection…. I’m not too sure what I shall do with my time today other than sit writing this rubbish ! A little work on “the book” later I think, but for the moment time to chill, although I have to run into St Louis to find a bank as I have neither local CFA or Euro, only sterling; what a mistake to make as nobody like sterling these days….

How many people can you fit into/onto a pickup truck ????


The  Mite House accommodation units are slowly taking shape.... with the work on the children's ward now almost complete all Morro's men will be on them next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment