Monday 3 June 2013

We've Done It!



Part of the refurbished ward



The new Nurses Station

One of the new toilets

 Yes today was the day… I’d like to say it went nice and smoothly to plan like a well oiled hinge, but TIA (This is Africa!) I’d like to say it was absolutely stress free for me and the staff, but I’d be lying. I’d also like to say I didn’t come within a hair’s breadth of blowing a fuse, but others would tell you a different story !!! However, by hook and by crook the children are now happily ensconced in the lower, refurbished section of the ward. As with any project of this magnitude there are one or two little bits and pieces to sort, there are things we didn’t do that I look back and

The Special Care Unit

wish we had done and there are one of two things that we have done that with hindsight I would have done differently. I guess that is always going to be the case, but it does not in any way detract from the fact that everyone is overjoyed with the result of our labours, and the ward looks fantastic, my biggest regret is that Anita could not be here to witness it.

One of the new super push button showers

However, no rest for the wicked, tomorrow phase two starts with a vengeance! First job is to cut off the rather nice padlock to the top doors that nobody admits to having the key to. The mosquito nets have already been taken down and the electrician is primed and ready to go as soon as the beds are out. Morro reckons to be finished in 1 week ! I reckon he hasn’t a cat in hells chance and as I have told him all along I want it right rather than quick… but I still told him to put his money where his mouth is and have upped the stakes on this on to 5000 Dalasis; sucker !!! ( Him or me? You choose!) If I had to put money on a date I would say 2 weeks, if I had another two weeks here I could possibly push them all along to finish at least the inside in that time frame, but I’m still hoping to be away on Monday. If push comes to shove I could delay until Wednesday but I really don’t want to have to rush home, I want to enjoy and savour the ride.

The Shower Block

Tonight I am engaged in putting together the bits of mosquito screen for the ward that Anita has purchased as a DIY kit… Hmm! We are Not Amused ! It is one of the worst jobs I have ever had to tackle. It is fiddly in the extreme and the pop riveting is just about killing my hands. Ready made’s next time please Boss.

No comments:

Post a Comment