Monday 22 April 2013



Today I escaped… I desperately needed a break from the work, so as Morro was off in Senegal to attend a funeral, having stuck my nose through the doors I headed for the wide open spaces of the North Bank road! On the road just after eight o’clock was amazing with just a hint of chill in the morning air as I crossed on the Bansang ferry with Sulayman. We rode through the track I had used a couple of week back, coming out at Lamin Kona just by the McCarthy Island Ferry, but instead of turning left we turned right for Wassu and the stone circles. It was a good ride and great fun through the soft sand which I am slowly (very slowly!) mastering. At Wassu we turned and headed back, crossing on the ferry to McCarthy Island and taking lunch at the Bird Safari Camp where I am becoming quite a regular inspite of the torch incident… It really is that nice there and Modo cooks up one hell of a feast at the drop of a hat for just under £4….


We should have called it a day then and headed back, but no we had to push our luck and head back along the north bank. All was going well until a little after Dobo only a few clicks from the ferry when I sort of got it wrong… It was a classic C90 crash, you hit one bump which throws you off balance, meaning that you hit the next harder with the inevitable “get off”.  I got away with it very lightly although to be fair I was only doing about 20mph max. Just a grazed  elbow and very wounded pride. Hell it could have been worse, I could have damaged the bike !!!! Guess I might be just a little stiff in the morning, but never mind.

Meanwhile back at the hospital, as anticipated the tilers are now down as for as they can go with the “corridor” tiles, in fact down to where the shower block is still being rebuilt, and it looks great. The other guys have now cast the concrete beam at floor level, so tomorrow I expect to see the walls up to the top of the window opening, where they will cast another beam. I also expect to see the first of the rebuilt  bays to be tiled… and so it goes…


No comments:

Post a Comment